- 1/2 yard of Joel Dewberry's Aviary 2 Woodgrain
- 1/2 yard of home dec weight in a light tan
- dark brown permanent marker
- green felt for the leaves, so just a bit will do
- one bag of foam scraps from JoAnn's
- some quilting batting, probably about 1/2 yard will do
I made mine slightly bigger than Susan did, I cut out my circles in an 18 inch diameter. To figure out the length of the sides for my enlarged cushion I had to Google the formula to find the circumference of a circle using the diameter. It's circumference x Pi, BTW. So my 18 inch diameter circles had a circumference of 56.5 inches. And since the woodgrain fabric was not home dec fabric, it was only 44" inches wide, I had to cut out two 28 1/4" long pieces and then sew them together along the short ends.
Then I used a disappearing fabric marker to draw some leaves on my felt and cut out three of them:
Next, I used the permanent maker to draw the rings of the wood on both of the circle pieces. I didn't do such a neat job on the first one so that will be the bottom. Second one was a bit neater, I took a picture of that one :)
Next came my least favorite part, pinning the circle to the side pieces. It always seems all wonky at first when attaching a rectangular piece to a circular piece, but stick with it and it turns out fairly well. I didn't pin the last 2 inches of the side pieces on either end so I could make any adjustments necessary which is a good thing I did because they were a smidge too long!
Before moving on to the bottom piece, I made the twig/stem handle. To do that I took the handle piece of fabric, folded it right sides facing and sewed along the long edge and one short end with about a 5/8" seam.
I turned it right side out, stuffed with batting and turned in the open end a bit.
Then I pinned the twig and the leaves to the side of the cushion and sewed it on with a box stitch on both ends of the handle. I should mention that before I pinned on the leaves, I basted them together because the little boogers were too wiley on their own!
Then I pinned the bottom circle piece on and sewed away using a 1/2" inch seam leaving a gap open on one end.
Then the surprisingly messy part: stuffing! I strongly encourage enlisting small hands to help. My little guy thought it was so much fun to pull the stuffing out of the bag and put into his floor cushion. I also think this made him very proud and happy with this project. And he was actually much better at it than I was, small handfuls are key! Ooh, I forgot to mention (and to do myself) you should put a piece of batting down as the first layer and then stuff with foam. Then once it's as full as you like, put another piece of batting on the top of the filling.
Once it's good and stuffed, use a ladder stitch to close up the opening, grab a book and enjoy!
Here's a better view of the stump cushion or "my pellow" as my little man calls it.